Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Fifty-Fifty Faith

French philosopher Blaise Pascal is the author of Pascal’s Wager. It is the argument for belief in God that essentially states that you should live as though there is a god because if God exists, you go to heaven and you gain everything. If there is no God, you gain nothing and lose nothing. You may have heard this as “if I am wrong and there is no God, then I lose nothing. But, if I am right that there is a God and you are wrong that there is no God, then you lose everything.”

Does this strike anyone else as a weak argument for belief? I have heard this used so many times and each time it troubles me. It assumes that faith is a passive thing – a religious “OK whatever.” Is eternal life a flip of the coin? Is loving someone with your heart, soul, mind and spirit simply a default setting?

In a relationship, faith is an active quest. Our faith is tested and stretched, but it is our desire to see it grow and deepen. Such confidence does not grow haphazardly. Faith in a relationship does not grow simply by not giving up. Real faith is a decision made over and over and over.

1 comment:

susan b said...

Yes! I have often thought of, and been troubled by, this argument. In fact, when I'm having a bad faith day it will pop into my head. This troubles me a great deal. The premise is ultimately cowardly, that – as you say – belief is as easy as saying "Amen." As long as I can hold that thought, then I needn't engage or be passionate. The check has cleared. I'm in. It's a perversion of our gift of reason and intelligence.

Disclaimer!

Please note that the advertisements from Google or Ad Sense are not necessarily recommended by DarthBode, Lord Moonbat or any other member of this blog's editorial team. Recommended resources are clearly marked.
Add to Technorati Favorites

Labels

When you support RMR, you help us to serve...

  • The members and staff of the St. Johns Youth Group, Albuquerque, New Mexico
  • The staff of Capernaum Ministries, Wichita, Kansas
  • The staff and membership of Hilltop Urban Church, Wichita, Kansas