Thursday, January 15, 2009

Life Lesson II - Life Together


I heard Floyd McClung say, “God is not trying to hurt your pride – he is trying to kill it.” God made his move in my life during the past year. 2008 was a year of dismantling the self-reliant Bodie and rebuilding a Bodie more in the image of a follower of Jesus. With the career shift and the heart attack, I have had to accept financial, physical, vocational, emotional and spiritual support from other people. What I now know is that I much prefer to be the giver rather than the receiver of help and support. I like answering questions much more than asking them. When I ask for help, it highlights my dependency on others. Letting someone else be strong magnifies my weakness.

For many of us, self-sufficiency is a worthy objective. We like the idea of not needing anyone. I’m not saying that we don’t care for others nor do I mean that we do not value relationships. But, we do not want relationships to become indispensable. We are happy in relationships that have a definite limits and restrictions. As long as those relationships do not infringe on our independence and autonomy, we are happy. But, when “wanting” turns to “needing” we often turn away.

Doubtless much of this independence is good old American rugged individualism. But such independence is incompatible with the teachings of Jesus. We were created to live in relationship with one another. Luke’s description of the early church reveals the kind of interdependence which followers of Jesus are meant to experience.

“They devoted themselves to the apostles' teaching and to the fellowship, to the breaking of bread and to prayer. Everyone was filled with awe, and many wonders and miraculous signs were done by the apostles. All the believers were together and had everything in common. Selling their possessions and goods, they gave to anyone as he had need. Every day they continued to meet together in the temple courts. They broke bread in their homes and ate together with glad and sincere hearts, praising God and enjoying the favor of all the people. And the Lord added to their number daily those who were being saved.” Acts 2:42-47 (NIV)


As I allow myself to rely more and more on my brothers and sisters, I find myself relying more and more on my Heavenly Father. By relying on him and on his children, I am discovering that I am actually better prepared to stand on my own two feet when I must.


My second lesson - Self-sufficiency is incompatible with following Jesus.

Disclaimer!

Please note that the advertisements from Google or Ad Sense are not necessarily recommended by DarthBode, Lord Moonbat or any other member of this blog's editorial team. Recommended resources are clearly marked.
Add to Technorati Favorites

Labels

When you support RMR, you help us to serve...

  • The members and staff of the St. Johns Youth Group, Albuquerque, New Mexico
  • The staff of Capernaum Ministries, Wichita, Kansas
  • The staff and membership of Hilltop Urban Church, Wichita, Kansas